Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Secret Thursday: How to convert your photo to black and white in a non destructive way


I love black and white photographs but came to realise this week when I had the opportunity to assist an another awesome fashion photographer, that I'd been losing the quality of my photographs with the way that I had converting them in photoshop.  I figured maybe other people could be making this same mistake so here's a tutorial for the new and improved monotoning of my photos.

If it get's a bit confusing the constant rule, here it is written out:

Whatever value you have gone over or under of the 100%, take this value, halve it then reverse it. e.g. 130% would be 30 over, so halve is 15, then reverse so -15.  This is just a rough rule use it to figure out what you think looks best.  If this video helps you in anyway please take a second to click the 'like' button on youtube.

It's been a busy last couple of weeks for me, I've been house hunting, then moving, assessments at college, working, assisting and having my mum over from England for a visit!  But the weekend's nearly here and I'll be off to the hunter valley for some chocolate tasting, wine tasting and cheese tasting.

11 comments:

  1. I will always love your photoshop tutorials! :)

    Bissous! x
    amonstarswardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a great tip, i'm currently on to edit some photos for a production i was commisioned by an online magazine. one of them felt like b/w material but indeed when i converted it, the quality was washed away.

    thank you so much for sharing louise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola, acabo de conocerte. Muy buenas fotos. Un beso desde Murcia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting blog! Would you like to follow each other Via Blogger , Bloglovin and Facebook? :) I'd love to

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you! i've learnt so much from your tutorials.
    your photography is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting! i used to do what you did as well :S

    <a href="http://sydsense.blogspot.com/>sydsense.blogspot.com</a>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fab and useful tutorial. I love black and white photography, and I've noticed to when you convert it the picture quality is'nt as good, and my photo quality is'nt that great anyways :D This will defiantely help me out alot, thank you.
    Bet that was lovely having your mum come and visit, sounds like you have been incredible busy and what a perfect way to chill, after all that chocolate,cheese and wine tasting :D I need some of that x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bela dica...Espectacular....
    Cumprimentos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesante el tip! lo usare alguna vez lose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your Blog is amazing :)
    Lovely!
    stillerebellin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww...another awesome tutorial, and it's so useful!!! Thanks for sharing<3
    Sounds like although you've been busy, you've been having a wonderful time :)

    x♥x♥

    "Dicas de saúde, beleza, e exercício físico"



    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)